Jewish communal life in Pretoria dates from 1876, when minyanim were held in the home of Daniel M. Kisch, a photographer, and a Jewish wedding was celebrated in 1878. The first meeting of the congregation was held there in 1890, and the first synagogue building was consecrated in 1898.
Pretoria is today home to the fourth-largest Jewish community in South Africa. The Pretoria Council of the SA Jewish Board of Deputies acts as a coordinating body for the city’s various Jewish institutions. These include the Pretoria Hebrew Congregation (Orthodox), Bet Menorah (Progressive), a Chevra Kadisha, a Jewish aged home (JAFFA – Jewish Accommodation for Fellow Aged) and other philanthropic bodies, a branch of the Union of Jewish Women and a women’s Zionist organisation. The Pretoria Jewish Chronicle appears monthly under the auspices of the SAJBD (Pretoria Council).
For more information, contact the SAJBD Pretoria Council
+271234687142 Fax +27123468792 email@example.com
PO Box 2512, Brooklyn Square, 0075