Port Elizabeth is home to the second-oldest organised Jewish community in South Africa. Jews were among the founders of the city, including those who arrived amongst the British settlers of 1820. The PE Hebrew Congregation was established in 1862 and has been continually functioning ever since. There is today also a Progressive congregation, established in 1949.
Other Jewish communal organisations in Port Elizabeth today include a Jewish day school (Theodore Herzl), the Eastern Cape Committee of the SA Jewish Board of Deputies, the IUA-UCF, Eastern Cape Zionist Council, a Chevra Kadisha for both the Orthodox and progressive communities, branches of the Union of Jewish Women and WIZO. The history of PE Jewry is depicted in the Jewish Pioneers’ Memorial Museum, based in the premises of the old Raleigh Street synagogue.
For more information contact
Mr Chuck Volpe
PO Box 208, Port Elizabeth, 6000