Jews began arriving in East London during the 1870s. The East London Hebrew Congregation (Orthodox) was established in 1901, and the East London Progressive Jewish Congregation in 1956. In the hey-day of the community, which at its height in the mid-1960s numbered some 1200 souls, there was an active Jewish communal life, with Hebrew schools, Zionist and other organizations, regional branches of national bodies, and a country club. Jews have been active in civic affairs, with four serving terms as mayor. While the Jewish population has greatly dwindled since then, the community continues to be served by the two religious congregations, a Chevra Kadisha and a local branch of the Union of Jewish Women, and has a representative on the SA Jewish Board of Deputies.
For more information contact:
PO Box 194, Tecoma, 5214